Sunday, November 12, 2006

Gajar ka Halwa

Will start my postings with one of my hubby's favorite sweet :) Carrot Halwa

My MIL makes great gajar ka halwa. As it is one of my hubby's favorite dish I thought I will also try my hand at it. This is the first sweet I tried making at home

Here is how I do it:

Ingredients:

Carrots grated - 2 cups
Sugar - 3/4 cup
Milk - 4 cups
Ghee - 3 tbsp
Cashews and raisins for garnish


Method:

Cook the grated carrots and milk in a thick bottomed vessel on a low flame stirring occasionally till the milk evaporates. This process anyway takes some time (30 - 40 mins)

Add the 2.5 tbsp ghee to the cooked carrots and Stir.

Now add the sugar and keep stirring occasionally till the halwa solidifies.

Take the vessel off the flame.

Heat the remaining ghee and fry the cashews and raisins.

Add this to the halwa.

Serve hot or cold :)

P.S: Yesterday my halwa disappeared before I could take a good photo. Will post one as soon as I make it again..

1 comment:

Swetha said...

Hello Shree,

Gajar Halwa is one of favorite sweet.... hummmm now I have an urge to make some. Thanks for sharing your recipe.

Keep it up!
-Swetha